oHandy! Answers to frequently asked questions by landlords:

Where do I start if I want to rent out my house?

To begin with, you have already ended up on the website of RELO Wonen and that is a good first step! If you want to offer your property for rental, we will gladly visit you to inform you about the possibilities of rental, the level of the rent, the tenant profile (your wishes) and our working method.

To help you get started, we answer the most frequently asked questions below.

How long will it take for RELO Wonen to let my house?

Depending on the location, rental price and the condition of your home (bare, unfurnished, furnished) your home is usually let within 2 weeks from the moment of registration!

May I refuse potential tenants which are offered by RELO Wonen?

Yes you can. Despite our help with mediation, you are the owner of your home and you decide who you want to rent the property to.

Can I specify a preferred profile with regard to possible tenants?

Yes, you can! However, we do not allow discrimination in origin; everyone deserves a fair chance. However, you can indicate whether you want to rent your home only to a family, singles, expats, students, etc.

Does RELO Wonen already have a database with tenants to whom my home can be rented?

Home seekers are also able to find us and thanks to our extensive network, personal contacts with other (rental) brokers and various subscriptions to housing sites, we manage to put your home at its widest point in the rental market and to find the best tenant.

Who determines the rent or how is the rent determined?

You decide the rental price of your home (you are of course bound by rules and legislation). Is your home under the liberalization limit? Then you can request a maximum rental price of € 737,14 (2020)

For rental properties up to the liberalization limit, the rental price is determined by the point based system:

your rent can go up according to the amount of requirements (points) that your home meets. Does your home have more points than the liberalization limit? Then there is no maximum rental price that you are bound to!

Do I have to do a point count?

No of course not, but it is wise and certainly recommended. In any case, you know whether your home exceeds the liberalization limit of € 737,17 (2020) per month and whether a maximum rental price applies to your home.

If you do not make a point count and a tenant suspects that the basic rent is too high for the house, the person in question can go to the tenancy committee and request a point count. If it turns out that your rent is too high and should actually be below the liberalization limit, then you must lower the rent with retroactive effect.

How many months deposit can I ask?

The law does not specify anything about the amount of a deposit so you are not obliged to a maximum amount.

A deposit equal to 1 month rent is usually used.

If the house is fully furnished, you can consider asking for one and a half months or even two months’ rent as a deposit.

A deposit of three months or more is not customary and is really considered unreasonable.

Does the house have a high rent and you stipulate a deposit of two months or more than this is not attractive for potential tenants.

If you still want to be sure that any damage is covered at the end of the lease, you can consider using our rental insuranceand you can ask the tenants for a deposit that is reasonable.

Will a tenant leave my property at the end of the lease agreement when I rent it out?

Yes, a tenant goes away at the end of a rental period, at least if you have concluded a lease with the tenant for a fixed period of a maximum of 2 years. You can agree on a shorter period but never longer than 2 years.

The rent ends automatically after the agreed term and cancellation of the rent by the landlord is therefore not necessary. However, as a landlord you must send the tenant a written notice in time, that is to say no earlier than 3 months before the end date and no later than 1 month before the end date, in which you inform the tenant of the agreed end date.

I urgently need my home but I have entered into a lease for an indefinite period. Can ask the tenant to leave?

In the case of a lease for an indefinite period, the rent protection of the tenant applies, and it is not possible for a landlord to cancel the lease and expect the tenant to actually leave.

If you need the house for urgent personal use you can cancel the rent but there are some conditions.

1) You need the house for your own family, or because you want to demolish the house or renovate it drastically.

2) The interests of you as a landlord outweighs the interest of the tenant.

Have you canceled the rent and the tenant relies on his rental protection then you still have the possibility to ask the court to terminate the lease.

To prevent a tenant from getting rent protection while you know in advance that you want to use the property again in the future or want to sell the house, we recommend that every landlord use a temporary lease for a maximum of 2 years where the tenant does not have rental protection.

Is it allowed to rent out my property?

Whether you are allowed to rent out your home depends on a number of factors.

1. If the house is your property, you can rent out in principle without any problems. Please note, if you (still) have a mortgage on the house, you must have permission from the mortgage provider.
2. Some municipalities impose conditions on rental, check with your municipality whether a conversion permit and / or an environmental permit as referred to in the Housing Act is prescribed. In some municipalities, it is forbidden to withdraw housing without a permit from its intended use, to add it to other living accommodation, to convert it into independent living accommodation or to convert it into two or more living accommodation or to keep it in that converted state (housing formation ).
3. If you rent a house yourself, it is not allowed to let the house to someone else unless you have permission from your own landlord.

Which rental agreement should I use?

That depends on how you want to rent out your property.

1) Rental agreement for an indefinite period of time: this can be used if you want to rent the house indefinitely and do not want to set an end date.

2) Rental agreement for a fixed period of maximum 2 years: you can use this if you want to rent the house for a maximum period of 2 years and want to set an end date.

3) Rental agreement for a definite period with diplomatic clause: you can use this if you (temporarily) go abroad for work but want to have the opportunity to return to your home afterwards.

4) Temporary rental agreement Vacancy Law: this can be used if your house for sale is vacant for a longer period of time.

We are happy to inform you without obligation if you have questions about the best suitable rental agreement for your property and wishes!

Can I stipulate a minimum rental term?

With a lease for an indefinite period of time you can stipulate that the tenant has a minimum period of, for example, 12 months. During these first 12 months your tenant may not cancel.

In the case of lease agreements of a temporary nature, the agreed end date applies only to the lessor; the tenant has the right to terminate the rent prematurely.

What is the notice period?

A notice period for a landlord is three months plus one month for each year that a tenant has rented the house with a maximum of six months.

A notice period for a tenant is one month or equal to the payment term.

The law stipulates that the notice period for the tenant is equal to the payment term for the rent. If the rent has to be paid per month, then the notice period is one month.

If you want to agree a longer notice period with the tenant, for example two months, this is only possible if the tenant is also entitled to pay the rent every two months. It is not possible to agree a notice period of more than three months.

Do I have to hold my insurance during the rental?

Yes, it is wise to keep a building insurance policy and glass insurance if you rent out your home. If there is still a mortgage on your home, a building insurance policy is mandatory! Are you renting furnished? Then a home contents insurance is also not unwise; after all, they are your furniture. Is the house vacated empty? Then the tenant is liable for insuring his own contents.

It is wise to inform your insurer about your intention to rent out, the insurer may require additional conditions to the insurance.

Do I have to inform my insurance company about the rental of my property?

Yes, you must inform your insurance in advance about your  plans to rent out your property. Namely not every insurance wants to insure a rented home or your insurance company makes certain demands on the rental.

Are there any risks associated with the rental of my property?

The rental of your home can certainly involve risks, for example there is the risk of a weed plantation or the house can be used by terrorists or human trafficking. This can have major (financial) consequences for a landlord. The risk of a non-paying tenant or when a tenant is not taking good care of your property is also a possibility.

Nevertheless, you can try to exclude the risks as much as possible, for example by engaging us. We can screen the potential tenant and potential co-tenants for identity, income, employer, rental history, fraud, terrorism, money laundering and more.A tenant who has something to hide will not readily agree with the checking of his documents!

To reduce the risk that the tenant does not take good care of your home and leaves the home with damage when he leaves, we can carry out periodic physical checks in your home and check for maintenance and occupation.

What should I do if I suspect that there is a weed plantation in my home?

A suspicion alone is not enough but there are enough points of attention that your suspicion can be confirmed, for example by:

– Fitted windows and / or curtains that are always tightly closed (although that does not always mean anything);

– taped windows;

– Windows that are never open or are always open in the same position;

– Problems with electricity in the neighborhood or often short power failures;

– Smell in and around the house;

– A constantly monotonous sound;

– The tenant does not want you to come by or do not let you in for a check or repair despite a   previously announced visit.

What you do not have to do is get off on the tenant yourself, as this can be dangerous! What you have to do is to call in the police if your suspicion appears to be true. This can be done by making a report on the general telephone number of the police 0900-8844 or if you would prefer to make an anonymous notification by calling 0800-7000.

So far our most frequently asked questions! Is your question not listed here? Do not hesitate to contact us, we are always happy to speak to you!

RELO Wonen